Monday, March 22, 2010

Oops, I cheated. On purpose.

Being gluten-free sucks, at least for Alex and me. It sucks even worse when you're sick and the only thing you want to eat is saltine crackers. Of course, want is a pretty strong word.

Alex and food were not good friends last night, or today. I offered him several things to help (ginger ale, brown rice, applesauce oatmeal muffins) but in the end all he really wanted were saltine crackers.

When I was talking to him on the phone, he told me that saltines were all he thought he could handle. I said that was fine. Then he said, "But I can't because we're gluten-free." And I replied, "Eat some crackers."

Our health is more important to me than this experiment. Which is why I bought him some crackers. If that's all he thought he could eat, that's what I wanted him to eat. He needed some food, after all. (He also ate a single tater tot, but even that was too much for him). He did eventually eat some of a granola bar, but today he's been subsisting on crackers and Vitamin Water.

Oh yeah, and I couldn't resist eating a cracker. Just one. I wanted to smother it with peanut butter, but I refrained. I could have resisted, it's true. But I really wanted one, so I had it.

Alex had an excuse, but I didn't. Oh well. I enjoyed it.

So there you go.

No comments:

Post a Comment